Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Borrower Is Servant To The Lender

The title of today's blog post is taken from Proverbs 22:7

As I understand the principle behind this proverb, if we are in debt to somebody, we're not as free as we would be otherwise.

If I borrow your hammer, and you want it back before I'm finished using it, you have the right to take it back. If I still have nails to put into boards I either need to wait until you will loan me your hammer again, or maybe use something else for hammering those nails. Maybe a rock.

If we owe money on a TV, car, or house, and we don't pay what we owe on time then those who lent us the money for them can repossess what we had use of for a time.

Sometimes circumstances beyond our control bring us into debt for things we really need for health, shelter, or mobility. But if there are times when we do get into debt, we should not be content to remain there.

Right now our nation owes trillions of dollars to other countries. I hope our leaders will eventually see that those who loan us all that money may one day make demands of us that we won't appreciate.

I pray that as individuals, families, businesses, communities, states, and a nation we will learn to be better stewards of our money and all of our other resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment