Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What Should I Pray For?

Col 1:9  For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding.
New International Version (NIV) Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica

The above passage was written by Paul to the Christians in Colosse. I find it interesting that when he tells them that he prays for them, he doesn't say he's praying for their health or financial situation. This passage clearly shows that what mattered most to him concerning the members of that church was their spiritual condition.

I see here that he wasn't just concerned that they be happy, or satisfied with their situation. He wanted them to be filled with knowledge. Not just any knowledge. He wanted them to be filled with the knowledge of the will of God.

He didn't even stop at knowledge, because that could simply mean knowing facts about the will of of God, or what God wanted. Paul also wanted them to have all spiritual wisdom and understanding. Without the latter they would be unable to make proper use of the knowledge.

It seems to me that the substance of this verse would be good for Christians to pray for one another. I ought to also pray it for myself, and if you're a Christian I would suggest that you pray along those lines for yourself.

Where will the knowledge of God's will and the understanding and wisdom come from? Well, reading and studying the Bible on a consistent basis should be the norm for believers. Then getting good teaching from pastors and teachers who believe the Bible is the word of God should also be included in our lives. Of course without the Holy Spirit helping us we won't get much of anything from time spend reading the Bible since the Spirit of God inspired the writing of it.

I want to know God's will and understand what He wants me to do with what I come to understand. That seems like a pretty worthwhile thing to pray about on at least a daily basis.

Please pray for me. I'll seek to do the same for you. I believe that what God wants for us far exceeds what we want for ourselves. Let's pray in this way and see what God does.


No comments:

Post a Comment